The Township is located in the Chagrin River Valley. The Township contains two distinct governmental units. The incorporated part is the Village of Chagrin Falls. The unincorporated part is commonly called Chagrin Falls Township. The two units together form Chagrin Falls Township.
Your website visit takes you to the unincorporated portion of the Township, which you reach by traveling out of the Village, up Grove Hill and North Main Street, to the neighborhood where Falls Road and North Main Street intersect.
Falls Road is a scenic and historic brick road on the National Register of Historic Places. Its 1.5 miles wind through Chagrin Falls Township and the villages of Chagrin Falls, Moreland Hills and Hunting Valley. Under restoration with Federal scenic enhancement funds in 2004 and 2005, Falls Road has been identified by the National Trust for Historic Places as the longest existing historic brick road in the country.
The Township was created on March 7, 1845 by the Ohio Legislature out of Orange Township. Much of its original area has been severed or annexed into the Chagrin River Valley villages of Chagrin Falls, Moreland Hills and Bentleyville. What remains of the Township once contained farms and a large pre-Depression private estate.
The unincorporated Township’s semi-rural setting offers lush green spaces with meadows, woods and streams for residences on 5-acre lots and now contains approximately .5 square miles, with 43 households. Its dimensions have remained essentially unchanged since 1950 as a large-lot residential community with minimal growth.
The Township is governed by three elected Trustees and an elected Fiscal Officer. These officials are elected for four year terms by the voters of both the incorporated and unincorporated portions of the Township. The Trustees appoint a Zoning Inspector, a Building Inspector, a Board of Zoning Appeals and a Zoning (Planning) Commission. The Township contracts for safety services with the Village of Chagrin Falls and for building inspection services with the Village of Moreland Hills. Its children attend the Chagrin Falls Exempted Village Public Schools. Township public streets are plowed in winter by the Chagrin Falls Village Street Department, but all other road maintenance is provided by the Cuyahoga County Engineer.
The Township trustees meet in the landmark Chagrin Falls Township Town Hall, located at 83 North Main Street in Chagrin Falls Village. The trustees meet typically at 7:00 p.m. on the second and fourth Tuesdays of every month. Changes in meeting schedules are posted on this website.
Although located within Chagrin Falls Village, the Township’s Town Hall is owned and managed by the Township Trustees. It is the site of community activities and home of the Chagrin Falls Visitors’ Center. Town Hall is open to the public and is available for rent by private parties and organizations.
Please enjoy our website’s view of the Township, including meeting minutes, zoning regulations and other topics of interest, with answers to frequently asked questions regarding zoning, building permits and Town Hall rentals.
Town Hall, 83 N. Main St., Chagrin Falls, Ohio • 440-247-8422
All Rights Reserved © 2006 Chagrin Falls Township